Skip to content
ConferencesDr Matt Lawson2018-04-06T20:39:57+00:00
- May 2018: ‘Three Germanies, One Holocaust: coming to terms with the past through film in East, West, and reunified Germany’, Post-War: Commemoration, Reconstruction, Reconciliation, University of Oxford.
- March 2018: ‘Soundtracks of Sanctuary: Musical Numbers as Escapism in Holocaust Cinema’, When The Music Takes Over, University of Salzburg, Austria.
- September 2017: ‘Scoring the Holocaust: film music and the ethics of sentimentality’, Royal Musical Association annual conference, University of Liverpool.
- July 2016: ‘Music in German Holocaust cinema: politics and soundtracks in East, West and reunified Germany’, British Association for Holocaust Studies Annual Conference, UCL, London.
- October 2015: ‘The Resistant Soundtrack: the role of film music in promoting on-screen and offscreen resistance to genocide’, Music as Resistance to Genocide Workshop, USC SF Centre for Advanced Genocide Research, Los Angeles, USA.May 2015: ‘Soundtracks of Shame? The function of film music in German Holocaust cinema’, Music and the Moving Image X, Steinhardt NYU, New York City, USA.
- April 2015: ‘Film, Music, Politics: Composing for Holocaust Cinema in Germany’, The Holocaust and the Contemporary World, Krakow, Poland.
- April 2015: ‘“What’s with the music?!” Incongruous Film Music and the Subversion of Audience Expectation’, Cutting Edge Postgraduate Conference, Edge Hill University.
- September 2014: ‘The Music of Middle-Earth: Musical Representations of a Fictional World’, Music and Movies: National and Transnational Approaches, Radboud University, Nijmegen, Netherlands.
- July 2014: Invited panellist, Passenger (1963) screening, Melbourne, Australia.
- July 2014: ‘Film music as Holocaust memorialisation in the 21st Century’, The Future of the Past: Representing the Holocaust, Genocide and Mass Trauma in the 21st Century, Deakin University and the Jewish Holocaust Centre, Melbourne, Australia
- March 2014: ‘The Jew Scored – The representation of Jewishness in German Holocaust film music’, Cutting Edge Postgraduate Conference, Edge Hill University.
- February 2014: ‘Film Music as Holocaust memorialisation since 1980’, Memory in Post-1980s Music, University of York.
- January 2014: ‘Holocaust film music in Germany: issues and theories’, PhD Conference, German Historical Institute, London.
- January 2014: ‘Wiedergutmachung durch Filmmusik: The German film soundtrack and its role in coming to terms with the past’, RMA Research Students Conference, University of Birmingham.
- November 2013: ‘Ethics and Empathy in Holocaust film music’, SEMPRE Music and Empathy Study Day, University of Hull.
- June 2013: ‘Scoring the Holocaust’, Ethnicity, Race and Racism Symposium, Edge Hill University.
- May 2013: ‘Film Music and the Holocaust’, War and Displacement Conference, Fremdspracheninstitut der Stadt München, Munich, Germany.
- January 2013: ‘Hearing Atrocity’, Screening Atrocity Postgraduate Worksop, Newcastle University.
- January 2013: ‘Scoring the Holocaust’, RMA Research Students Conference, University of Southampton.
- November 2012 : ‘Scoring the Holocaust: issues of musical representation in Holocaust film’, Music and Genocide Conference, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland.
- June 2012: ‘Scoring the Holocaust: an introduction to issues of musical representation’, 3rd Postgraduate Symposium, Department of Theatre, Film and Television, University of York.